This course details the biochemistry and immunology of breastmilk and the importance of these components to the development of total health and well being of babies and mothers.
The relative health risks of not breastfeeding will be covered for you to understand clearly the significance of breastfeeding.
- Access Time:
- 1 month (starting from time of purchase)
Enrolling in more than 1 course? Time is cumulative ie buy 2 courses, have 2 months access to both courses
- 12 L CERPs / 12 Pre-exam Education Hours / 12 CH
- This course is tutored by an experienced Lactation Consultant
Well-constructed online learning gives you the best of both worlds - quality content that you can work through at your own pace, in your own place, but with a level of personal attention that even rivals face-to-face programs. And, you guessed it, Health e-Learning programs are the BEST of online learning with all these great features:
- Log in when it suits you 24/7/365
- Study at your own pace within your enrolment period
- no formal deadlines, stressful exams or assignments
- All reading provided or linked
- Periodic testing of knowledge with fun self test activities
- Course facilitation by highly experienced IBCLC tutor
- Gain valuable support and network with students from all over the world
- Immediate feedback for final online assessment
- certificate of completion issued immediately
- Administrative and technical support available online
Before commencing this course you should have a thorough understanding of basic biochemistry and immunology. A good anatomy and physiology textbook would support your knowledge.
- Optimal Nutrition
- Milk Lipids
- Stages of Lactation
- Immune System Development
- Defences in Breastmilk
- Health Outcomes
- Acute conditions
- Chronic Disease Conditions
- Allergic responses
- Developmental characteristics
- Maternal implications
- Feeding Alternatives
An active forum, where topical issues may be raised, case studies discussed, questions posed and answered, links to additional information provided, etc, is facilitated by an experienced Lactation Consultant and is an integral part of the course. Reading this forum and contributing to it will enhance your learning and that of your colleagues.
- All required reading materials and resources are available online.
- A quality, current lactation text is advisable to augment your studies. Please see our list of recommended resources for further information.
- Participants are permitted to print one copy of their course for personal use only.
- If you do wish to print, please be aware that some courses are over 60 pages in length. Please be advised that links to articles and interactive activities are not available in the printed version.
- Primary Author: Denise Fisher, MMP, BN, IBCLC; Co-author: Bridget Ingle, IBCLC
- Immunology topic reviewed by Prof Lars Hanson, MD, PhD, FRCPCH(hon), Professor Emeritus, Dept of Clinical Immunology, Göteborg University, Sweden.
- Original program reviewed by subject matter experts: Sue Cox, IBCLC and Trudi Szallasi, IBCLC
- All courses are reviewed annually, as well as being updated as new information becomes available.
The aim of this course is to give you a good understanding of the biochemical and immunological composition of breastmilk and a strong appreciation of its value to babies and children, and their mothers.
On successful completion of this course you will be able to
- list the macronutrients and many micronutrients in breastmilk, describing their function and value to the child
- describe what influences nutrient concentration in breastmilk
- describe the immunological functions of the major proteins, carbohydrates and fats in breastmilk
- list 5 acute conditions and 5 chronic diseases directly attributable to being artificially-fed
- discuss 5 interventions, of which one is related to feeding choice, that will delay or lessen the severity of allergic disease in children
- discuss developmental delays attributable to artificial feeding
- list the maternal health implications of suppressing lactation on maternal anaemia, contraception, weight control, diabetes, breast cancer, endometrial cancer and ovarian cancer
- debate the ethical responsibilities of informed consent that influence choice of infant feeding
Achievement of the learning objectives is assessed by automatically graded, online, multiple-choice questions. A passing grade is 85%.
A Workbook, downloaded from the course, is not required to be submitted, but completion will aid learning and provide an excellent resource.
When you successfully complete the course you can download your Certificate of Completion immediately. Your Certificate notes ongoing education accreditation points.
On successful completion of this course you will be awarded:
- 12 L CERPs*
- 12 CHs*
For IBLCE examination preparation, this course provides 12 pre-exam education hours.
Do we offer CEUs? Need other types of accreditation? Please see our Accreditation FAQ for more information.
- This course is facilitated by an experienced International Board Certified Lactation Consultant.
- The course is available as a one month subscription commencing on the day of notification to you of your username and password.
- The subscription time is cumulative - for example, if you purchase 8 courses - you receive 8 months access to all 8 courses.
- The subscription time may be extended by purchasing extensions, but must be purchased before the subscription expiry date.
- The average time taken to complete this course and the assessment is 12 hours.
- On successful completion your Certificate will be available to you in pdf format from the course website.
- Replacement certificates can be obtained for a fee, however we maintain an official transcript that is available free for all customers to download at any time.
Fees and Payments
- Enrollments are accepted online, or upon receipt of a faxed or mailed enrollment form (available on request).
- Payments online are available using either PayPal or WorldPay gateways.
- The cost is US$135.00 per course.
- Additional fees, that are out of our control, may be charged by your bank to convert this to your local currency.
- Please see our Payments FAQ for more information.
Refunds and Privacy