This is an introductory course to the terms used in medicine. Knowledge of these terms, and how to decipher unfamiliar medical terms, will be beneficial in your communications with medical professionals and your studies of medical issues. The topics cover each of the body systems, having illustrative graphics and a short description of each system with the terms used to describe that system. Word Exercises in each topic will assist you to apply your theory to practice. The coursework should take approximately 4 hours to work through, taking notes and doing the Word Exercises, and finally completing the online Assessment Quiz.
- Access Time:
- 1 month (starting from time of purchase)
Enrolling in more than 1 course? Time is cumulative ie buy 2 courses, have 2 months access to both courses
- This course will meet the IBLCE Exam prerequisite for a course of study in this subject.
There are no professional development educational points available for this course.
- Learning style:
- This is a self-guided course.
There are no prerequisites for this course.
- Introduction to the formation and deciphering of medical terminology.
- Medical terminology as it relates to:
- the digestive system
- the respiratory system
- the cardiovascular system
- the lymphatic system
- the urinary system
- the nervous system
- the eye, ear and skin
- the nose and mouth
- the muscular system
- the skeletal system
- the reproductive system
- the endocrine system
- Terminology used to describe anatomical position
All required materials and resources are provided online.
A Medical Dictionary would support your studies and be invaluable in your work.
IH05 Medical Terminology was developed by Denise Fisher, MMP, BN, IBCLC. Denise has extensive experience in education of nursing and lactation consultant students.
This course is designed to introduce medical terms to students who have little prior knowledge of the language of medicine.
On completion of this course the student will be able to:
- name and identify components of medical terms
- associate medical terms with their anatomical position
- understand an indicative range of medical words relating to each of the body systems
Achievement of the learning objectives is assessed by automatically graded, online, multiple-choice questions. A passing grade is 85%.
On successfully completing this course you will be able to download, save and print your Certificate of Completion.
You may submit this Certificate of Completion to IBLCE if you require validation of completion of a course in Medical Terminology for your application for the IBLCE Examination.
- The course is available as a one month subscription commencing on the day of notification to you of your username and password.
- The subscription time is cumulative - for example, if you purchase 2 courses - you receive 2 months access to both courses.
- The subscription time may be extended by purchasing extensions, which must be purchased before the subscription expiry date.
- The average time taken to complete this course and the assessment is 4 hours.
- On successful completion your Certificate will be available to you in pdf format from the course website and emailed to you.
- Replacement certificates can be obtained for a fee, however we maintain an official transcript that is available free for all customers to download at any time.
Fees and Payments
- Enrollments are accepted online, or upon receipt of a faxed or mailed enrollment form (available on request).
- Payments online are available using either PayPal or WorldPay gateways.
- The cost is US$42.00
- Additional fees, that are out of our control, may be charged by your bank to convert this to your local currency.
- Please see our Payments FAQ for more information.