Of all the skills essential to a health care professional, it could be said that the most important of these is communication skills. Without the ability to communicate effectively your knowledge, skills and care cannot be shared. In this course, you will learn about the strategies that define a good communicator and have the opportunity to apply your knowledge. Being in a position of respect as a health professional you will be asked to address groups of people, the public, colleagues, or parents and therefore this course will help you to prepare for public speaking, as well as develop effective workshops, classes, and written materials.
- Access Time:
- 1 month (starting from the time of purchase)
Enrolling in more than 1 course? Time is cumulative ie buy 2 courses, and have 2 months' access to both courses.
- 10 L CERPs, 2 E CERPs / 12 CH / 12 Pre-exam Education Hours / 12 pre-exam communication skills hours - as per April 2021 IBLCE exam applicant requirement.
- This course is tutored by an experienced Lactation Consultant (IBCLC)
Well-constructed online learning gives you the best of both worlds - quality content that you can work through at your own pace, in your own place, but with a level of personal attention that even rivals face-to-face programs. And, you guessed it, Health e-Learning programs are the BEST of online learning with all these great features:
- Log in when it suits you 24/7/365
- Study at your own pace within your enrolment period
- no formal deadlines, stressful exams or assignments
- All reading provided or linked
- Periodic testing of knowledge with fun self-test activities
- Course facilitation by highly experienced IBCLC tutor
- Gain valuable support and network with students from all over the world
- Immediate feedback for final online assessment
- certificate of completion issued immediately
- Administrative and technical support available online
No formal prerequisites. Few people have been taught good communication skills. You will need the ability to observe the effect of your words on others and have the patience and commitment to practice new ways of communicating, if necessary.
- Introduction (2E CERPs)
- Professionalism, record keeping
- Letters of summary, referral, and reply
- Communication skills
- Attending skills
- Listening skills
- Building confidence
- Applying the theory
- Transition to parenthood
- Pregnancy Issues
- Implications for practice
- Public Speaking
- Principles of Adult Learning
- Planning educational content
- Breastfeeding class or workshop
- Written materials
An active forum, where topical issues may be raised, case studies discussed, questions posed and answered, links to additional information provided, etc, is facilitated by an experienced Lactation Consultant and is an integral part of the course. Reading this forum and contributing to it will enhance your learning and that of your colleagues.
- All required reading materials and resources are available online.
- However, a quality, current communication or counseling text is advisable to support your studies.
- Participants are permitted to print one copy of their course for their personal use only.
- If you do wish to print, please be aware that some courses are over 60 pages in length. Be advised that links to articles and interactive activities are not available in the printed version.
Author: Carole Dobrich, RN, BSc., IBCLC, Kathy Parkes, MNS-Ed, BSPsy, RN, IBCLC
Reviewed by subject matter experts: Melanie Gingras, BScN, IBCLC, Kristina Palmer-Field, RN, RM, BA, IBCLC
Reviewed yearly. New information incorporated as it becomes known.
Original course developer: Denise Fisher, MMP, BN, IBCLC
The purpose of this course is to guide you in the acquisition of effective communication skills so that your interactions with clients, health care providers, and the community will be professional, educational and demonstrate empathic understanding.
On successful completion of this course, the student will be able to
- Identify professional responsibilities relating to client consultation.
- Discuss and identify ethical and moral issues related to the IBCLC profession, the International Code, and the role of the IBCLC related to ethics and social media.
- Communicate effectively using counseling techniques, articulated by listing the qualities of an effective counselor, demonstrating attending behaviour, giving examples of following behaviour including open and closed questioning, choosing examples of different types of listening skills, listing judgmental words to be avoided, listing 3 ways to build self-confidence and demonstrating these skills in a role play with a mentor.
- Discuss the issues faced when a new baby enters the family, describing how they can be most effective in their support at this time.
- List four important steps in each of the preparation, the introduction and the conclusion when speech making.
- Develop and deliver educational materials demonstrating examples for auditory, kinaesthetic and visual learners; write an aim and learning objectives; list at least 5 points against which to check written materials.
Achievement of the learning objectives is assessed by automatically graded, online, multiple-choice questions. A passing grade is 85%.
A Workbook, downloaded from the course, is not required to be submitted, but completion will aid learning and provide an excellent resource.
On successfully completing this course you will be able to download, save and print your Certificate of Completion. Your Certificate will note ongoing education accreditation points.
On successful completion of this course you will be awarded:
- 10 L CERPs and 2 E CERPS
- 12 CHs
For IBLCE examination preparation, this course provides 12 pre-exam education hours. (12 pre-exam communication skills hours - as per April 2021 IBLCE exam applicant requirement)
Do we offer CEUs? Need other types of accreditation? Please see our Accreditation FAQ for more information.
- This course is facilitated by an experienced International Board Certified Lactation Consultant.
- The course is available as a one-month subscription commencing on the day of notification to you of your username and password.
- The subscription time is cumulative - for example, if you purchase 8 courses - you receive 8 months' access to all 8 courses.
- The subscription time may be extended by purchasing extensions, but must be purchased before the subscription expiry date.
- The average time it takes to complete this course, and assessment is 12 hours.
- On successful completion, your Certificate will be available to you in pdf format from the course website.
- Replacement certificates can be obtained for a fee, however, we maintain an official transcript that is available free for all customers to download at any time.
Fees and Payments
- Enrollments are accepted online, or upon receipt of a faxed or mailed enrollment form (available on request).
- Payments online are available using either PSiGate or PayPal.
- The cost is US$135.00 per course.
- Additional fees, that are out of our control, may be charged by your bank to convert this to your local currency.
- Please see our Payments FAQ for more information.