This course covers issues affecting the mother and/or infant that are less commonly encountered. It is designed to extend your knowledge in counseling and supporting the mother for the best achievable health when she is affected by such conditions as breast surgery, diabetes, asthma, thyroid disease, obesity, lupus, Rh arthritis, infectious diseases (hepatitis, HIV, CMV, HTLV-1, etc), or infants have oro-facial abnormalities or muscle and neurological disorders. Other issues considered include maternal nutrition, sexuality, contraception, relactation, tandem breastfeeding and breastfeeding multiples.
- Access Time:
- 1 month (starting from time of purchase)
Enrolling in more than 1 course? Time is cumulative ie buy 2 courses, have 2 months access to both courses
- 12 L CERPs / 12 Pre-exam Education Hours / 12 CHs
- This course is tutored by an experienced Lactation Consultant.
Well-constructed online learning gives you the best of both worlds - quality content that you can work through at your own pace, in your own place, but with a level of personal attention that even rivals face-to-face programs. And, you guessed it, Health e-Learning programs are the BEST of online learning with all these great features:
- Log in when it suits you 24/7/365
- Study at your own pace within your enrolment period
- no formal deadlines, stressful exams or assignments
- All reading provided or linked
- Periodic testing of knowledge with fun self test activities
- Course facilitation by highly experienced IBCLC tutor
- Gain valuable support and network with students from all over the world
- Immediate feedback for final online assessment
- certificate of completion issued immediately
- Administrative and technical support available online
The issues discussed in this course include medical and surgical conditions of both the mother and the infant. If you don't have a base knowledge of these conditions it is strongly recommended that you purchase a medical/surgical text and refer to it to support what you are learning.
- Maternal Issues
- Maternal nutrition
- Sexuality and contraception
- Relactation; Induced lactatation
- Breastfeeding in pregnancy; Tandem breastfeeding
- Breast surgery
- Infectious diseases: Hepatitis B & C, HIV,Varicella, Cytomegalovirus, HTLV-1
- Medical conditions
- Diabetes mellitus
- Thyroid disease
- Rh arthritis
- Infant Issues
- Cleft lip and/or palate
- Twins, triplets & higher order multiples
- Conditions affecting muscle tone
An active forum, where topical issues may be raised, case studies discussed, questions posed and answered, links to additional information provided, etc, is facilitated by an experienced Lactation Consultant and is an integral part of the course. Reading this forum and contributing to it will enhance your learning and that of your colleagues.
- All required reading materials and resources are available online.
- A quality, current lactation text is advisable to augment your studies. Please see our list of recommended resources for further information.
- Participants are permitted to print one copy of their course for personal use only.
- If you do wish to print, please be aware that some courses are over 60 pages in length. Please be advised that links to articles and interactive activities are not available in the printed version.
- Author: Denise Fisher, MMP, BN, IBCLC
- Reviewed by subject matter expert: Barbara Ash, MA, IBCLC; Bridget Ingle, IBCLC
- All courses are reviewed annually, as well as being updated as new knowledge becomes known.
The aim of this course is to extend your knowledge of common and less common issues that could affect breastfeeding mothers and their infants. Your knowledge of how breastfeeding affects these issues, or how the issue affects breastfeeding will assist you to counsel the mother appropriately.
On successful completion of this course you will be able to
- develop an outline for a short educational presentation to colleagues on the nutritional needs of breastfeeding mothers,
- compare and contrast all the forms of contraception a breastfeeding mother may consider using,
- list the effects that breastfeeding has on sexuality,
- outline how women can induce lactation or relactate,
- list the major points to be discussed with mothers who are breastfeeding during a pregnancy, or tandem feeding,
- outline a plan of care for a mother who has previously had breast surgery,
- list the recommendations regarding breastfeeding for each of 5 maternal infectious diseases,
- list 5 considerations relevant to breastfeeding when a mother has any of the following conditions: diabetes; asthma; thyroid disorder, rheumatoid arthritis, lupus or obesity,
- develop a parent handout describing breastfeeding management of twins or higher-order multiples,
- develop an outline for a short educational presentation to colleagues on caring for a baby with a cleft lip and/or palate,
- describe how to assist a baby with a neurological deficit to breastfeed
- describe techniques that will assist a mother to breastfeed a baby who is either hypertonic or hypotonic.
Achievement of the learning objectives is assessed by automatically graded, online, multiple-choice questions. A passing grade is 85%.
A Workbook, downloaded from the course, is not required to be submitted, but completion will aid learning and provide an excellent resource.
On successfully completing this course you will be able to download, save and print your Certificate of Completion. Your Certificate will note ongoing education accreditation points.
On successful completion of this course you will be awarded:
- 12 L CERPs*
- 12 CH
For IBLCE examination preparation, this course provides 12 pre-exam education hours.
Do we offer CEUs? Need other types of accreditation? Please see our Accreditation FAQ for more information.
- This course is facilitated by an experienced International Board Certified Lactation Consultant.
- The course is available as a one month subscription commencing on the day of notification to you of your username and password.
- The subscription time is cumulative - for example, if you purchase 8 courses - you receive 8 months access to all 8 courses.
- The subscription time may be extended by purchasing extensions, but must be purchased before the subscription expiry date.
- The average time taken to complete this course and the assessment is 12 hours.
- On successful completion your Certificate will be available to you in pdf format from the course website.
- Replacement certificates can be obtained for a fee, however we maintain an official transcript that is available free for all customers to download at any time.
Fees and Payments
- Enrollments are accepted online, or upon receipt of a faxed or mailed enrollment form (available on request).
- Payments online are available using either PayPal or WorldPay gateways.
- The cost is US$135.00 per course.
- Additional fees, that are out of our control, may be charged by your bank to convert this to your local currency.
- Please see our Payments FAQ for more information.