Of all the skills essential to a health care professional, it could be said that the most important of these is communication skills. Without the ability to communicate effectively your knowledge, skills and care cannot be shared. In this course you will learn about the strategies that define a good communicator, and have the opportunity to apply your knowledge. Being in a position of respect as a health professional you will be asked to address groups of people, the public, colleagues, or parents and therefore this course will help you to prepare for public speaking, as well as develop effective workshops, classes and written materials.
- Access Time:
- 1 month (starting from time of purchase)
Enrolling in more than 1 course? Time is cumulative ie buy 2 courses, have 2 months access to both courses
- 10 L CERPs, 2 E CERPs / 12 Pre-exam Education Hours / 12 CH
- This course is tutored by an experienced Lactation Consultant
Well-constructed online learning gives you the best of both worlds - quality content that you can work through at your own pace, in your own place, but with a level of personal attention that even rivals face-to-face programs. And, you guessed it, Health e-Learning programs are the BEST of online learning with all these great features:
- Log in when it suits you 24/7/365
- Study at your own pace within your enrolment period
- no formal deadlines, stressful exams or assignments
- All reading provided or linked
- Periodic testing of knowledge with fun self test activities
- Course facilitation by highly experienced IBCLC tutor
- Gain valuable support and network with students from all over the world
- Immediate feedback for final online assessment
- certificate of completion issued immediately
- Administrative and technical support available online
No formal prerequisites. Few people have been taught good communciation skills. You will need the ability to observe the effect of your words on others and have the patience and commitment to practice new ways of communicating, if necessary.
- Communication skills
- Attending skills
- Listening skills
- Building confidence
- Applying the theory
- Transition to parenthood
- Pregnancy Issues
- Implications for practice
- Public Speaking
- Principles of Adult Learning
- Planning educational content
- Breastfeeding class or workshop
- Written materials
An active forum, where topical issues may be raised, case studies discussed, questions posed and answered, links to additional information provided, etc, is facilitated by an experienced Lactation Consultant and is an integral part of the course. Reading this forum and contributing to it will enhance your learning and that of your colleagues.
- All required reading materials and resources are available online.
- However a quality, current communication or counseling text is advisable to support your studies.
- Participants are permitted to print one copy of their course for their personal use only.
- If you do wish to print, please be aware that some courses are over 60 pages in length. Be advised that links to articles and interactive activities are not available in the printed version.
- Author: Denise Fisher, MMP, BN, IBCLC
- Reviewed by subject matter experts: Barbara Ash, IBCLC, Sue Cox, IBCLC
- All courses are reviewed annually, as well as being updated as new information becomes known.
The purpose of this course is to guide you in the acquisition of effective communication skills so that your interactions with clients, health care providers and the community will be professional, educational and demonstrate empathic understanding.
On successful completion of this course the student will be able to
- communicate effectively using counseling techniques, articulated by listing the qualities of an effective counselor, demonstrating attending behaviour, giving examples of following behaviour including open and closed questioning, choosing examples of different types of listening skills, listing judgmental words to be avoided, listing 3 ways to build self-confidence and demonstrating these skills in a role play with a mentor.
- discuss the issues faced when a new baby enters the family, describing how they can be most effective in their support at this time.
- list four important steps in each of the preparation, the introduction and the conclusion when speech making.
- develop and deliver educational materials demonstrating examples for auditory, kinaesthetic and visual learners; write an aim and learning objectives; list at least 5 points against which to check written materials.
Achievement of the learning objectives is assessed by automatically graded, online, multiple-choice questions. A passing grade is 85%.
A Workbook, downloaded from the course, is not required to be submitted, but completion will aid learning and provide an excellent resource.
On successfully completing this course you will be able to download, save and print your Certificate of Completion. Your Certificate will note ongoing education accreditation points.
On successful completion of this course you will be awarded:
*Please see our Accreditation table for the most up-to-date accreditation numbers
For IBLCE examination preparation, this course provides 12 pre-exam education hours.
Do we offer CEUs? Need other types of accreditation? Please see our Accreditation FAQ for more information.
- This course is facilitated by an experienced International Board Certified Lactation Consultant.
- The course is available as a one month subscription commencing on the day of notification to you of your username and password.
- The subscription time is cumulative - for example, if you purchase 8 courses - you receive 8 months access to all 8 courses.
- The subscription time may be extended by purchasing extensions, but must be purchased before the subscription expiry date.
- The average time taken to complete this course and the assessment is 12 hours.
- On successful completion your Certificate will be available to you in pdf format from the course website.
- Replacement certificates can be obtained for a fee, however we maintain an official transcript that is available free for all customers to download at any time.
Fees and Payments
- Enrollments are accepted online, or upon receipt of a faxed or mailed enrollment form (available on request).
- Payments online are available using either PayPal or WorldPay gateways.
- The cost is US$135.00 per course.
- Additional fees, that are out of our control, may be charged by your bank to convert this to your local currency.
- Please see our Payments FAQ for more information.
Refunds and Privacy