Well-constructed online learning gives you the best of both worlds - quality content that you can work through at your own pace, in your own place, but with a level of personal attention that even rivals face-to-face programs. And, you guessed it... Health e-Learning programs are the BEST of online learning.
Online learning is a flexible way of studying. You can study from any computer connected to the Internet. Our courses are all broken down into modules and/or topics that allow you to study for as long as you want to, or for as little time as you can spare at one time. You can repeat the topics until you understand them completely. Our major programs are facilitated by experts in that field. You'll have easy and quick contact with your facilitator, AND you'll be able to see who else is studying the same course and talk with them using the course forum.
We use a student-friendly educational software platform that will facilitate your learning using course content prepared by the Professional Development Educator; relevant graphics; interactive quizzes, crosswords, etc; direct links to other excellent websites enhance your studies; optional and required readings (provided); workbook activities; forum discussions; exercises and assignments as applicable to your program.
What do I need to know?
- You must know how to use a computer.
- You must know the basics of using your browser.
- It is highly desirable that you are familiar with the Internet and sending emails.
What computer requirements are there?
If you are reading this you probably have everything you need already!
You will need a RECENT browser installed on your computer. We recommend and require a modern browser. The latest version of your current browser should be fine. Update it if necessary. Here are some links to download the most recent versions:
If you are using an older version of one of these browsers it is highly recommended that you upgrade. Not upgrading will not stop you from getting the full benefit of Health e-Learning's courses, but may expose you to security threats on the Internet. You should always keep your browser up-to-date.
In our courses, we will often link to articles in PDF format. To read these files, you will need a PDF Reader. Health e-Learning recommends you have one of the following:
ALL of the software linked to above is free. No Health e-Learning course will require you to purchase any extra software or equipment.
Do my computer settings need to be changed?
Most people won't need to make any changes. However, just check a few things in your browser:
- Enable cookies
If you don't know what these settings are, then don't worry: unless you've specifically turned them off, everything will be fine.
OK. I've got all that. Now how should I organize my studies?
Studying online is different to studying face-to-face. Here's some tips to help you...
- Set aside a time when you can work uninterrupted. Be firm with family, friends or workmates who may disturb you. Treat this time as a face-to-face class. You may be home or at work, but you are actually "not around".
- Stick to your chosen time.
- If your course is tutored, plan to contact your tutor every week.
- Use the forums or email addresses to communicate with your colleagues
- Break the work into manageable chunks and tick off each part as you complete it. Give yourself a treat for completing a chunk. Health e-Learning recommends chocolate.
- Stay well and healthy. Do these Occupational Health and Safety exercises regularly so you do not get sore eyes, a sore back or RSI (repetitive strain injury) when working or studying online.
- Print your course - students are permitted to print ONE copy of their course for personal use. If you have to go away or spend time travelling, consider printing your course to take with you - that way if you can't get to a computer, you don't necessarily have to fall behind. Just remember that the courses have links to other websites, interactive activities and multiple choice assessment exams that cannot be done on your paper copy. Health e-Learning is a Green conscious company - please consider the environment before printing!
And most importantly, Enjoy your studies!